Wednesday, October 14, 2009

130 degrees and a broken wrist=suck city

From my blog August 17th, 2009

Things are still hot here in Djibouti with daily temps in the mid 130s and midnight temps about 95-100. It rained for the first time since I have been here, about 2 nights ago, which was really more of a weak sprinkling that lasted about ten minutes. What an odd thing to appreciate rain so much, that it helps you empathize with the inhabitants of desolate places such as this, and realize why certain cultures never even had words in their language for snow until modern travel brought the globe together.

Not much has changed here except that I broke my wrist a week ago today, after beating up three navy SEALs in a bar fight then stopping a spike playing volleyball (that's my story and I am sticking to it). Seriously, with all of the 'crazy' things I've done, and never to have broken a bone, until playing such a benign game. I fractured the styloid process of my right (dominant) hand and need to have a cast for 6 weeks. Djibouti, with 130 degree heat and 70% humidity, is a wonderful climate to have a cast, especially when I work out...you sweat so much here. The real challenge is typing my clinic notes, eating, and dressing myself in my desert cammies (the boots take a while). I am still hitting the gym 2 hours a day, but no team or watersports for me for a while. Still, I believe God allows everthing to happen for a reason, and I am getting better everyday with my leftie!

I am trying to coordinate a dictation service back in the states to help me out with longer notes. I can type with my left and peck with my right hand, but that cast gets heavy after a while...
One of our providers has been away on emergency leave, which has increased our workload and kept us busy. The other provider here, fresh out of residency, stressed out while studying for his boards, had a freak out moment on Friday and made several unsubstantiated attacks against me on a professional and professional level. He behaved like a juvenile and injured his reputation and our trust in him, so please pray that this situation gets rectified, as the few of us need to work together as a team for the next several months. I thought I was over the 'medical drama' when I graduated residency, but I guess I was wrong.

Dafne is doing well in school. Our ferret has almost completely healed and is able to walk again. She took him to Ft Myers this week for her summer break, so pray those hurricanes lurking in the Atlantic stay away from Florida!

No comments:

Post a Comment